Youth Entrepreneur Project
The youth entrepreneurship Mentorship programme aims at stimulating and creating youth employment in Mauritius. It provides a linkage between private sector and young entrepreneurs for the sharing of resources.
- To increase the productivity of youth entrepreneurs by providing a mentorship programme
- Respond to aspiration of youth entrepreneurs
- Offer role models from private businesses
- Build and develop capacity of young entrepreneurs
Experienced businessmen (mentors) and young entrepreneurs (protégées) are involved in the mentorship programme. Mentors comes from private sector in Mauritius and fall in the age group of 35 to 50 old. Protégées or young entrepreneurs are young persons about to start a business or have recently started a business. Mentor and protégée are consequently matched and work together for the duration of the programme. Mentors and protégée meet regularly to review their relationship while Halley Movement oversees the overall programme.
- Entrepreneurs had the opportunity to access new markets through the networks of the members – mentors and protégées. This results in an increase in sales and provide for sustainable growth.
- Protégées have learnt the importance of formalising their business operations. For example, registering their business enables them to participate in national fair.
- Positive changes in the way they run their business for instance, better record of accounts.
Halley Movement, through its subsidiary organ – YES Mauritius, was invited at various international forums to showcase the best practices and challenges in running the mentorship programme.